Sunday, May 23, 2010

Wallander, and Swedish Society,.....and Bergman,.....

I've become something of a fan of the Swedish crime drama series, 'Wallander', - the original, Swedish production that is, - and, watching the latest episode last night, about a missing chorister, I once again mused over what the series various storylines might say about modern Swedish society, if it is indeed it was part of the author's intent to comment on modern-day Swedish society.

I've also often thought it would be interesting to compare and contrast with what I see as the closest it has to a British counterpart, - 'Inspector Morse'.

But I've also wondered what, if anything, the Swedish society of 'Wallander' has in common with the Sweden of Ingmar Bergman cinema, - particularly of the mature Bergman period, from, say, 'Wild Strawberries' onwards.

Which is why I've now decided to give his acclaimed 'Faith' trilogy of films another viewing.
As its often felt that this trilogy best reflects the essence of Bergman

No comments:

Post a Comment