Friday, June 25, 2010

Akira Kurosawa's 'Stray Dog'


This shot is taken from the climactic scene where Mifune's character confronts the thief who stole his gun.
(the characters are just visible, - in this reduced image,- standing between trees in the middle background)
The girl had been playing the piano in the front room of her home and had been startled by a gunshot sound.
Its not too clear here, - the BFI print isn't the best but I don't think they were in early post WWII Japan, or, at least, not very well maintained, - but the scene is set in a misty early morning and parts of the scene reminded me of the climactic scene from Joseph H. Lewis' noir Masterpiece, 'Gun Crazy'.

I think 'Stray Dog' is probably my favourite of Kurosawa's three great contemporary crime dramas, - 'Drunken Angel' and 'High and Low' being the others.
The latter film is a stunning tour-de-force, but I think 'Stray Dog's wonderful blend of the intimate, poetic, and the neo-realist shade it for me

No comments:

Post a Comment