Friday, June 25, 2010

Ten Great Shots From Favourite B & W Movies

Nowadays if a director films in black and white he tends to be considered pretentious, or self-consciously arty.
Of course, up until, I think, the late 1930s pretty much every movie was made in black and white so the distinction didn't arise.

I remember looking forward to getting our colour television and seeing more and more of our favourite films and series in colour, but nowadays perhaps the majority of my very favourite films were filmed in black and white: in fact, Alfred Hitchcock's 'Vertigo' is the only one of my all-time Top 10 films which was shot in colour.
Which inspired this idea.

But, as a comparison, I'll also post 10 favourite colour film shots: not necessarily the most painterly beautiful, or aesthetically pleasing, but impressive shots

No comments:

Post a Comment