Friday, January 20, 2012

Short Story Competition

Submitted my (first) entry to the annual Francis McManus short story competition today
(deadline day).
I called it 'A Desert Mystery', although its actually more horror, than mystery story.
Its got a nice little twist in the tail which I don't believe anybody would see coming from halfway into the story.

I'm quite pleased with it although I was very surprised the amount of revising I had to do, particularly after now having written three novels, admittedly each only to first draft stage; a radio play, and another short story competition entry (Dublin City library competition).
Part of the reason for this was the nature of the story which required me to blend two completely different tones, and styles of writing.
Also I completely changed the starting-off point for the story after discovering I had so much more story that I needed to tell, when I'd already neared half-way on the original draft.

Although I may yet find out to the contrary when I'm working on reviewing/revising 'The Sniper', I think you can be that much looser in your language with a novel, - particularly a genre novel, - than you need to be with a short story
Even a genre story

No comments:

Post a Comment